Founded in 1934, the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) is a scientific association serving over 7,000 professional members around the world. Our mission is to advance knowledge and improve understanding of mapping sciences to promote the responsible applications of photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS), and supporting technologies.
The role of ASPRS in UAS technologies:
- Educate the public, the media and our elected representatives about the scientific, societal and commercial benefits to be realized
- Educate these same groups on the differences between military, law enforcement and commercial uses of these technologies, to move the discussion beyond privacy concerns
- Cooperate with other stakeholder communities, societies and organizations in the development of an enabling environment supportive of UAS in geographic information science
- Explore the need for new certifications or changes to certification criteria, to address UAS specific topics as applied to mapping and remote sensing
- Explore the needs for new guidelines and standards, or changes to existing guidelines and standards, to address UAS-specific topics as applied to mapping and remote sensing
- Inform our membership on regulatory landscape for UAS as it evolves
ASPRS: The Imaging and Geospatial Information Society
The American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) has officially incorporated the tag line “The Imaging and Geospatial Information Society,” as part of the ASPRS identity. This tagline is representative of the Society’s “New Vision,” as it makes the changes necessary to better position its focus for the future.
In announcing this action, ASPRS President Tom Lillesand pointed out that, “Our Board of Directors took unanimous action to adopt a tag line on March 31, 1998 at the Society’s annual meeting. Subsequent to the annual meeting, the Board thoroughly considered alternatives and explored the legal implications of this action. The intent is to preserve the legal name of the Society while providing a better expression of who we are and what we do as an organization.”
“We are extremely proud of our historical roots in imaging science and technology in the form of photogrammetry and remote sensing, and we intend to maintain and build upon our emphasis in this area. However, our membership is focused on imaging not only in the sense of primary data acquisition, but also with respect to the extraction of information from image data in a decision support context,” said Lillesand. “We want to make clear that ASPRS represents a scientific and professional home for a broad array of individuals whose interests span the entire spectrum of geospatial information sciences, technologies, and applications.”
Lillesand stated that “The new tag line is an important expression of ASPRS’s vision for the future. We are attempting to move geospatial information science, technology, and application forward as a holistic enterprise – one that recognizes the interdependence among the academic, public, and private sectors in this whole arena. We want to simultaneously maximize the scientific, societal, and commercial benefits to be realized from geospatial information into the next century. We believe our new tag line helps express the breadth of this vision.”
Who are our members?
ASPRS members from private industry, the government, and academia are analysts/specialists, educators, engineers, managers/administrators, manufacturers/product developers, operators, technicians, trainees, marketers, and scientists/researchers. Employed in the disciplines of the mapping sciences, our members work in the fields of Agriculture/Soils, Archeology, Biology, Cartography, Ecology, Environment, Forestry/Range, Geodesy, Geography, Geology, Hydrology/water Resources, Land Appraisal/Real Estate, Medicine, Transportation, and Urban Planning/Development.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING AN ASPRS MEMBER?
- 12-month subscription to Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing (PE&RS), the official peer-reviewed journal of ASPRS
- Professional Certification
- Networking Opportunities
- 25%-40% Discounts on ASPRS Publications
- Discounts on all ASPRS Conferences (Annual and Specialty)
- Access to National Job Fairs
- Invitations to Technical Committee and Division Meetings
- Invitations to Region specialty conferences, technical tours, workshops, and social activities
- Eligibility for over $18,000 in National and Regional awards, scholarships, and fellowships.
- Opportunity to enroll in group insurance programs (Life Insurance, Dental Plan and Cancer Expense Plan).
- Photogrammetry is the art, science, and technology of obtaining reliable information about physical objects and the environment, through processes of recording, measuring, and interpreting images and patterns of electromagnetic radiant energy and other phenomena.
- Remote Sensing techniques are used to gather and process information about an object without direct physical contact.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) is an information system able to encode, store, transform, analyze, and display geospatial information.
To find out more about ASPRS, contact us at:
ASPRS: The Imaging and Geospatial Information Society
5410 Grosvenor Lane, Suite 210
Bethesda MD 20814-2160
or visit our home page at
Contact us with questions about becoming an ASPRS member – firstname.lastname@example.org